Categories
Uncategorized

Loaded firearm seized in Byward Market

(Ottawa) On Monday the 19th day of May 2014 approximately 2:30AM Ottawa Police responded to the area of Clarence Street and George Street for reports of gunshots in the area. Subsequent to that, officers stopped a vehicle on George Street and recovered a loaded firearm. Two occupants of that vehicle were arrested and transported to cells.

Mohamed NAJDI (26 years) and Ali DIA (20 years) are charged jointly with the following criminal offences:

CC 86 (1) USE/HANDLE/STORE FIREARM, ETC. CARELESSLY

CC 88 (1) POSSESS WEAPON, ETC./DANGEROUS TO PUBLIC PEACE

CC 91 (1) POSSESS PROHIBITED FIREARM WITHOUT HOLDING A LICENCE AND REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE

CC 92 (1) POSSESS PROHIBITED FIREARM KNOWINGLY NOT HOLDING A LICENCE AND REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE

CC 94 (1) OCCUPY MOTOR VEHICLE WITH FIREARM, ETC.

CC 95 (1) POSSESS LOADED REGULATED FIREARM

CC 96 (1) POSSESS FIREARM, ETC. OBTAINED BY CRIME

Mohamed NAJDI is charged alone with the following:

CC 117.01 (1) POSSESS FIREARM, ETC. WHILE PROHIBITED

CC 117.01 (1) POSSESS FIREARM, ETC. WHILE PROHIBITED

CC 145 (5.1) FAILURE TO COMPLY/CONDITION OF UNDERTAKING TO OFFICER

Anyone with information pertaining to this incident is asked to call the Ottawa Police Service Guns and Gangs Unit at 613-236-1222 Ext. 5050.

All media inquiries please contact the Guns and Gangs Unit at 613-236-1222 Ext. 5050..

-30-

Categories
Uncategorized

One man charged in six sexual assaults

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police Service (OPS) has charged an Ottawa man in relation to six sexual assaults that occurred over the last two years.

Yousef HUSSEIN, 25 years old, of Ottawa has been charged with six (6) counts of Sex assault, three (3) counts of Overcome Resistance, two (2) counts of Break and Enter and two (2) counts of Indecent Act.

Three of the sexual assaults occurred on:

August 5, 2012 on Banner Road;
June 26, 2013 on a footpath between Lancaster Road and Erinbrook Crescent; and
October 7, 2013 on Aldea Avenue.
These three cases had been previously linked by the task force assigned to the files.

The other three sexual assault charges relate to the sexual assaults that occurred on:

Late March 2013 in the 2600 block of Draper Avenue;
June 1, 2013 on Laurier Avenue near Chapel Street;
October 16, 2013 in the 2400 block of Baseline Road between Woodroffe Avenue and Greenbank Road.
HUSSEIN is scheduled to appear in court today.

“Identifying and arresting the person responsible for these crimes has been a priority for the Ottawa Police Service and I want to thank the investigators for their work,” said Chief Charles Bordeleau. “Investigators have worked tirelessly to solve these crimes.”

“I especially want to recognize the great courage and resilience of the women who came forward to police. It’s vital that these crimes are reported,” said Bordeleau. “Victims can have confidence in coming forward that when these crimes are reported they will be fully investigated.”

The task force received hundreds of public tips and identified over 150 persons of interest through a professional, methodical and thorough process.

“I also want to thank the public for their assistance in this investigation,” added Bordeleau.

The investigation continues.

The Ottawa Police will not be discussing details of the investigation as this information will be part of the evidence to be proven at court.

Categories
Uncategorized

2014 Community/Police Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 15

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police Service is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2014 Community/Police Awards Ceremony. Recipients will be presented with an award starting at 7:00 p.m. this evening at The Chambers at Ben Franklin Place.

Certificate of Valour:

Mr. Ion Aimers

Mr. Mohammad Hammouri

Mr. Elias Karam

Mr. Bruce Leclair

Mr. Richard Louthood

Ms. Kathleen McMullen

Mr. George Poirier

Mr. Gordon Smith

Mr. Robert Smith

Ms. Natasha Walsh

Mr. Larry Whitty

Mr. Peter Winkler

Certificate of Merit:

Mr. Johnathon Hamilton

Mr. Matthew Hutton

Ms. Tammi Martel

Cst. Robert Smith

Mr. Alan Stauch

Ms. Joanne Vezina

Mr. Kirk Wilkes

Thomas G. Flanagan, S.C. Scholarship:

Ms. Melissa Commandant

Special recognition – Governor General Certificate of Commendation

Cst. Christine Schulz

Special recognition – Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner’s Certificate of Appreciation

Cst. Jean-Luc Bonin

Cst. Mehdy Khalid

Special recognition – Royal Canadian Mounted Police Certificate of Appreciation (International Policing Branch)

Cst. Kevin Williams

Categories
Uncategorized

Year End Parade for the Ottawa Police Venturers

(Ottawa) – This year, the Ottawa Police Venturers will be holding their Year End Parade on May 21st , 2014.

Ottawa Police Venturers is a vocational Scouts Canada program, proudly supported by the Ottawa Police Service, that provides youth between the ages of 14 and 18 with an opportunity to learn about policing and to support police and community initiatives. The Ottawa Police Venturers have been part of our community for 29 years.

The Ottawa Police Venturers’ Year End Parade is a great opportunity to learn more about the Venturers and what they do. Below are the details in relation to upcoming Parade:

Date: Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 from 7:00 pm-8:00 pm

Location: Ottawa Police Service 474 Elgin Street, (Gymnasium) Ottawa

Presenters/Speakers: Ottawa Police Service Chief Charles Bordeleau;

Ottawa Police Services Board Chair and City of Ottawa Councillor Eli El-Chantiry (TBD);

Representatives from Scouts Canada.

Because of limited space, the invitation is open only to members of the media. Media attending the event will be escorted from the front lobby by a Venturers Advisor to the gymnasium. Media should arrive no later than 6:50pm.

For more information about the Venturers program, please visit www.ottawapolice.ca/venturers

Categories
Uncategorized

Off-duty Officer charged with Impaired driving

(Ottawa) An off-duty Ottawa Police Service member has been charged with impaired driving following a traffic stop on the 417 East off-ramp at St-Laurent Boulevard at approximately 2:00a.m. on May 7, 2014. The OPS received confirmation of the charges yesterday afternoon.

Constable Marie Josee Seguin, 30 years old, of Ottawa was charged by the RCMP with Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle contrary to section 253(1)(a) and Fail to provide Breath Sample contrary to section 254(5) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

The officer was released on a Promise to Appear. The Ottawa Police Service Professional Standards Section has begun an investigation into this matter.

“I cannot speak to this specific matter as it is before the courts and it is important that we respect due process,” said Ottawa Police Chief Charles Bordeleau. “Members of the Ottawa Police Service work every day to improve safety on our roads. These types of allegations don’t reflect that daily effort or our collective values.”

-30-

Categories
Uncategorized

Can you sing?

(Ottawa) – The Ottawa Police Chorus will be conducting a recruitment campaign for experienced choral singers.

All voices, soprano, alto, tenor and bass are welcome to attend. The ability to read music is an asset.

The open rehearsal will be held at the Salvation Army Citadel located at 1350 Walkley Road, Thursday, May 22, 2014 from 5:00p.m. to 7:00p.m.

For more details and to confirm your attendance please call 613-236-1222 ext. 6187 or e-mail [email protected].

Categories
Uncategorized

Reward offered for information in the Malik Adjokatcher homicide

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police is offering a fifty thousand dollar reward to anyone with information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the suspect(s) responsible for the murder of Malik Adjokatcher.

The police investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Ottawa Police Major Crime Section at 613-236-1222, ext. 5493 or Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 (TIPS) or toll free at 1-800-222-8477.

Categories
Uncategorized

Ottawa Police investigating sexual assault in Billings Bridge area

(Ottawa) – The Ottawa Police Service Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Unit is investigating a report of a sexual assault that occurred on May 12, 2014 at 3:00am in the Billings Bridge area.

A 35 year old female victim was walking at the OC Transpo Billings Bridge Station, after exiting an OC Transpo bus, when a man grabbed her and touched her inappropriately. The victim does not believe that the man was on the bus with her.

The victim screamed and the suspect fled on foot going West through the parking lot. Police were called immediately and the area was checked with negative results.

The suspect is described as Caucasian male, 6 feet (183 cm) wearing black clothing and a black baseball cap.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Ottawa Police Service Sexual Assault/Child Abuse Unit at 613-236-1222, ext. 5944 or phone Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 (TIPS) or toll free at 1-800-222-8477.

Categories
Uncategorized

Investigating the robbery of an elderly female

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police Service Robbery Unit is investigating the robbery of an elderly female.

On May 8, 2014, at approximately 2:10 pm, an elderly female, age 87, was walking in the area of Prince Charles/Saville Row when she was approached from behind by an unknown male. The male threw the victim to the ground and stole her purse. The suspect then fled on foot, last seen running northbound on Saville Row and to then turn onto Black Friars Rd. The victim was transported to hospital, and remains in hospital, having suffered a fractured arm.

The suspect in this case is described as a Caucasian male, 20-40 years of age, black wavy or curly hair, and he wore a black jacket.

The Robbery Unit is investigating the potential link to a purse snatching that occurred on May 7, 2014, at approximately 3:15 pm. On that date, an elderly female, age 104, had been walking along a pathway in the area of Cleary Ave/Richmond Rd when she was brushed by a male cyclist who rode past her. It was not realized until a short time later that the suspect had grabbed and made off with her purse. The cyclist was described as a Caucasian male, in his 40’s. There were no injuries in this incident.

Anyone with information with respect to either of these incidents, or any other robbery, is asked to contact the Robbery Unit at 613-236-1222 ext. 5116 or Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 (TIPS) or toll free at 1-800-222-8477.

Categories
Uncategorized

Ottawa youth charged with over 60 Criminal Code offenses related to swatting

(Ottawa)— On Thursday, May 8, 2014, members of the Ottawa Police Service arrested a 16 year old young male, resident of Ottawa, in relation to a Cyber Crime investigation involving “Swatting”.

“Swatting is a term utilized online to refer to engaging emergency services with false calls to affect revenge on an individual or organization by causing the response of armed Swat Teams to active shooter scenarios or bomb threats,” Staff Sergeant Rick Baldwin-Ooms, West District Investigation, Ottawa Police. “In this case, the subject is a suspect in at least 30 North American occurrences.”

He has been charged with 60 Criminal Offenses that include: Public Mischief, Mischief to Property, Utter Death Threats, Convey False info with intent to alarm. The youth cannot be identified, per Youth Criminal Justice Act.

The young male is scheduled to appear at the Ottawa Court for a Show Cause Hearing today.

The residence of the young person was searched and data transmission/communication devices were seized for further analysis along with firearms and ammunition for Public Safety.

This joint investigation involved agencies in Canada and the United States of America. The Ottawa Police would like to acknowledge the assistance of Halton Regional Police, Laval Police, Sûreté du Quebec, Calgary Police Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Categories
Uncategorized

Human Trafficking charges laid against two persons formerly with diplomatic status

(Ottawa) – On May 8, 2014, the Ottawa Police Service laid charges against two persons related to allegations of human trafficking for labour of a 26-year-old woman in Ottawa.

On April 30th, Ottawa Police made a formal request to Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD) requesting a waiver of immunity to proceed with criminal charges related to Human trafficking against two foreign nationals.

The request for waiver was sent regarding a 45 year old man and a 44 year old woman. The woman was on posting with the Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines. At the time, both she and her husband had diplomatic immunity.

On May 5th Ottawa Police investigators were informed by DFATD that both parties – under police investigation – had surrendered their identity cards to DFATD, left the country and returned to the Philippines.

Bueneflor CRUZ and Robert CRUZ are charged jointly under the Criminal Code of Canada with the following:

Trafficking person by exercising control contrary to Section 279.01 (1) X1
Financial/material benefit contrary to 279.02 X1
Withhold or destroy identification documents for the purpose of facilitating an offense under Section 279.01 (1) contrary to section 279.03 X2
Robert CRUZ has also been charged with:

Utter threats cause bodily harm
Mischief under $5,000.
A Canada wide warrant has been issued for their arrest by Ottawa Police.

On December 18, 2013 Ottawa Police Human Trafficking Initiative investigators commenced an investigation following a third party complaint into allegations of human trafficking for labour of a 26 year old female.

Investigators determined that the victim entered the country legally as a domestic worker for the couple, working as a nanny. Investigators found that the victim was exploited for financial and material benefit, from July 2009 to December 2013, at the private residence of the couple in Ottawa.

The victim has been relocated to a safe location and remains in Canada.

“The Ottawa Police will continue to thoroughly investigate any complaints of human trafficking,” said Insp. Paul Johnston, Ottawa Police Service, Central District Investigations. “It is important to stress that help is available for the victims.”

If you know someone who may be a victim of Human Trafficking, please report this matter to the Ottawa Police Service Human Trafficking Initiative at 613-236-1222 ext. 5005 or phone Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477(TIPS) or toll free at 1-800-222-8477.

Categories
Uncategorized

Shots fired on Norman Street under investigation

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police Service Guns and Gangs Unit is investigating a shooting where seven (7) gunshots were fired in the 0-100 block of Norman Street on May 8, 2014 at approximately 1:00am. No injuries were reported.

The investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information pertaining to this incident is asked to call the Ottawa Police Service Guns and Gangs Unit at 613-236-1222 ext. 5050, or phone Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 (TIPS) or toll-free at 1-800-222-8477.

Categories
Uncategorized

Rideauwood’s 14th Annual Walkathon Fundraiser is this Saturday

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police Service is partnering with Rideauwood Addiction and Family Services again this year for their 14th Annual “Footsteps for Recovery” Walkathon, which raises funds to improve treatment for people with addiction and concurrent mental health issues.

This year’s walkathon will be taking place on Saturday, May 10, 2014, at the Ron Kolbus Lakeside Centre, 102 Greenview Avenue. Registration begins at 9:45 a.m. and the walk kicks off at 10:30 a.m.

Ottawa Police Chief Charles Bordeleau will be on-site and participating in the Walkathon.

Categories
Uncategorized

Shots fired into apartment complex on Murray Street

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police Service Guns and Gangs Unit are investigating a shooting where two (2) gunshots were fired into an apartment building lobby in the 300 block of Murray Street on May 7, 2014 at approximately 12:30am.

No injuries were reported. The investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information pertaining to this incident is asked to call the Ottawa Police Service Guns and Gangs Unit at 613-236-1222, ext. 5050 or Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 or 1-800-222-8477.

Categories
Uncategorized

Ottawa Police charge Ottawa man with Gross Indecency

(Ottawa) The Ottawa Police Service Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Section charged an Ottawa man following an investigation of incidents dating back to 1968 involving a teenager. An investigation commenced in April 2014 after a female victim came forward to police.

On May 5, 2014, the Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Unit charged André MARCIL, 65 years old, of Ottawa, with two counts of Gross Indecency. He is to appear in court on May 6th.

Mr. Marcil has lived in other parts of Canada since 1968, including in Québec, Ontario and PEI.

The Ottawa Police is concerned that there could be other victims.

Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to contact the Ottawa Police Service Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Unit at 613-236-1222, ext. 5944 or phone Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 (TIPS) or toll free at 1-800-222-8477.